Sunday, November 05, 2023

Beauty of Speed

 

Beauty of Speed

Speed
Beauty
Do those two words go together?
For sure
I guess it was the skatebaord, early 1970s vintage, that got me hooked.
Bombing down the sidewalks of our town
University Classroom Center at the Univ of Idaho was a skateboarders dream
Smooth cement
Smooth speed
Oh how beautiful
Probably not the words of an 11 year old
But the feeling was there.
Next up
Ski slopes of the Alps
As in Switzerland
Davos
Bombing down the groomed runs
I was 13
Chasing my older brother
Only way to keep up?
Speed
Oh the thrill
But oh the beauty
Of life wizzing by at top speed
When my eyes water
That is when life is the best at speed
Next up
My French racing bicycle
17 years old
With the question
How fast can this bike go
Fast enough is the answer
Bombing down the smooth
And windy
Lewiston grade
Tight turns
Accelerating
Then braking
To set up the next turn
I went down the hill
Faster than a car
Beauty at speed
Speed under control
Gave me a terrific sense of
Freedom
And then the ultimate
My 650 Yamaha motorcycle
A straight, flat, smooth section
Of highway 95 in Northern Idaho
Saw me visit the extent of that motorcycles
Speedometer
Tapped out
So smooth
So fast
So young
So free
So beautiful
And then I grew up






No comments: